How do we create an environment for Gateway growth?

How do we create an environment for Gateway growth?

Postby twarden » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:29 am

XRPtalk and the official forum both have very active and experienced members posting every day, answering questions, and asking tough to answer questions. How can the community of Ripple developers of XRPtalk and the official forums create an environment for Gateway growth to occur? I had the idea to create the web-kit found in my signature to allow entrepreneurs with a background in programming to have an accessible template to serve as the basis to their own web site. Besides this I attempt to consult those developers, mostly on the official forums, about how the Ripple environment works. I have been attempting to find strategic business partners an persuade them to adopt Ripple as a solution to their payment solutions: my web hosting company, BitGold which is a Canadian based 'Paypal but with Gold' payment solution, and even my Local Game Store where I play Magic the Gathering and paint minis has not been safe from my attempts to grow the Ripple Merchant environment. Last, I have been corresponding with a developer who is not too happy (as am I and many others) that gatewayd has become unsupported then was removed from the ripple github. We are attempting to enact a plan to have this server software remain supported by the community but this individual is already drafting a thread about this topic, so I will link it here when he provides those details.

Going forward with discussion, how can we the community continue to work towards creating an environment for entrepreneurs to adopt the Ripple protocol for use cases such as:

-A cryptocurrency/bullion/fiat holdings company (I.E. Ripple Gateway)
-Web Stores
-Appointment/Registration Services

Please discuss.
XAGATE Thread~PreciousWallet.io Thread

Don't worry! I'm pretty sure that I got this under control, the last crazy visionary was was far too insane, but I struck the correct balance.
BCT Thread

I am not affiliated with Ripple Labs.
twarden

Re: How do we create an environment for Gateway growth?

Postby meetreks » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:29 am

One of the best ways to do it is via workflows and use cases.

This will explain what each use case is, what work flow is required, what regulations it must cater for and finally a model implementation.

Also, it will be really helpful if we underline the business benefits and best practices as well.

Meetreks
meetreks

Postby twarden » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:59 pm

meetreks wrote:One of the best ways to do it is via workflows and use cases.

This will explain what each use case is, what work flow is required, what regulations it must cater for and finally a model implementation.

Also, it will be really helpful if we underline the business benefits and best practices as well.

Meetreks

Good, let's start there.

-Ripple Gateway

--Must abide by local and international financial regulations, this includes KYC/AML/CFT regime co-operation and the reporting obligations required per each local jurisdiction's financial regulatory body or bodies.
--Operator must be a public figure or at least operate under a known alias which is linked to a PGP key for verifying authorship of customer support/git commits
--Operator must create the policies, fee structure, and terms of deposit and withdrawal transactions on his/her web site.

-Web store

--Must abide by local financial regulations, specifically, tax reporting obligations therefore the user must have access to tools to examine their Ripple wallet(s) easily to pull out the pertinent transactions that deal with the web store
--Operator must provide valid information, pictures, competitive prices, and create a supply of in-stock products by issuing IOUs that act as payment for the items sold on their web store
--Operator must create the policies, set the prices, create the available supply via IOUs, and optionally write a privacy policy or at least include a section regarding the collection of personal information within the Terms of Service

-Appointment/Registration Services

--See 1 and 2 above
---Operator instead issues IOUs which act as cryptographically secure proof of an certain time and date for a meeting or perhaps the client is registering a ticket to an event such as a concert
--Operator must create the policies set the prices, create the available supply via IOUs, and optionally write a privacy policy or at least include a section regarding the collection of personal information within the Terms of Service

Please suggest workflows and use cases that are different from a Ripple Gateway, a store, or a services type venue which can use Ripple's payments/markets as a solution.

Don't worry! I'm pretty sure that I got this under control, the last crazy visionary was was far too insane, but I struck the correct balance.
BCT Thread

twarden

Postby freequant » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:27 am

twarden wrote:How can the community of Ripple developers of XRPtalk and the official forums create an environment for Gateway growth to occur?

Why insist on trying to revive a dead cause at the cost of sending unsuspecting entrepreneurs to their demise? Ripple has long ceased being a community effort.
freequant

Postby twarden » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:44 pm

freequant wrote:
twarden wrote:How can the community of Ripple developers of XRPtalk and the official forums create an environment for Gateway growth to occur?

Ripple has long ceased being a community effort.

An that is exactly why the community has to stop speculating/trading using Ripple an instead start creating value for the network with some god damn products and services; Gateways can work just as a web store or a service within most use cases (which is what we are trying to figure out the work flows of and continue from there).

freequant wrote:Why insist on trying to revive a dead cause at the cost of sending unsuspecting entrepreneurs to their demise?

It might be because I'm a sadist or a masochist, not too sure what definition is the best suited within this situation. Oh wait no I got it, I'm an entrepreneur that had asked for lots of advice and support while setting up a Gateway this past year, therefore I should attempt to help others to do the same. No I'm not rich with Ripple but that was never the point, the point was to reach a point in my career where I am the boss of myself and I can be content with my work/learning PHP/rippled/REST/curl/bash/SQL/etc.

Go ahead an call that dragging entrepreneurs to their demise if you want to but I'm sitting on RU for the Fall, freequent. You can not like me all you want but don't try to be a bully or throw insults around, I'm not above retaliating if I'm not having the best of days.

EDIT: I so forgot to edit this to say that I was definitely wrong for writing this post an I was unacceptable. freequent and I sorted out over PMs.
Last edited by twarden on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCT Thread

twarden

Postby twarden » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Use Case: Implementing Insurance Coverage Using Ripple

I was asked if there are any blockchains that support insurance, specifically life insurance. I believe that this was one of the projects that Jared and Matthew from Providence Solutions were developing but they have since fallen off the face of the Earth AFAIK.

The question is simple, how can we use Ripple as a solution to providing insurance?

First, we must state the work flow that is required of a business to issue an insurance policy. I have some experience within the insurance field as I was working with Primerica from January 2014 through May 2014. The insurance industry is typically regulated within most legal jurisdictions, therefore the business that operates life insurance policies over Ripple must be licensed by their relevant regulatory bodies. Within Ontario, Canada (where I am based out of) The Financial Commission of Ontario is the regulatory body where a business must submit a request to operate as an insurance broker. Once a business has been licensed as an insurance broker, they may issue life insurance policies to applicants.

The company collects relevant information from an applicant when an individual is looking to insure his spouse(s) future well being after they pass on. The company would follow their insurance regulations plus any internal policies when processing an application.
At the time when an insurance company deems that the applicant is eligible for a life insurance policy to be issued to the applicant, the company provides the relevant information to the applicant to decide what amount of coverage is necessary. This is slightly off topic, but when looking to purchase life insurance, only consider purchasing a term policy, any other policy is a complete rip off.

The applicant has settled on a 25 year term policy of 200,000$ where the premium is a monthly fee of 49.99$ (in Primerica their premiums were less than 30$ for 350,000$, this is just an example). The insurance company collects the first fee from the applicant using their existing settlement infrastructure and/or Ripple to complete this transaction.

For example, perhaps the insurance company accepts direct deposit, the applicant is sent a URL that includes an MBUN to track their account's payments. Using Ripple, the insurance company sends a quote to the applicant via a payment URL directed at their hot-wallet account.
When the applicant settles their first life insurance premium for the first time, the insurance company requests that the applicant trusts a Gateway account for a unique 3 digit currency code that references this policy.

For example, this applicant is going to receive a term policy which spans 25 years and covers 200,000$. If the insurance company has the exact same policy being issued to more than one client, they create an IOU that specifies the above insurance package's specifications. In this case, this is their most signed policy package, so they advertise that currency code T25 (term 25 years) covers 200,000$ and costs 49.99$ monthly and advertises a trust-line hyperlink on their web site.

However, life insurance policies could be unique to each person. An applicant could request a 25 year term insurance policy but also require disability coverage which would affect the policy and the premium, therefore, the mentioned T25 IOU could not be issued to this applicant.
This creates an opportunity for the insurance company to design an internal policy which defines when a unique IOU has to be issued to reflect ownership of the policy the client owns. For example, the company could maintain a database of their clients which has an IOU column and a boolean field named is_unique. If is_unique is set to true, then a separate table within this database would store all unique currency codes plus defines the values they encompass:

table policy_codes:
policy_type varchar(20), coverage_amount int, disabilty_coverage boolean DEFAULT false, plus other fields drawn from a users table such as name, ripple address, email, and so forth.

What happens when a client holding this policy passes? If the Ripple account cannot be accessed because the client has passed on, so how does the insurance company know that they owe a life insurance payment to another Ripple account of the beneficiaries? The applicant inputs the Ripple address to pay when the coverage is to be paid to the spouse(s). Using the rough database structure stated above, the users table requires two unique ripple address fields: rippleClient and ripplePayee. The rippleClient is the client of the company which holds the policy IOU(s) meanwhile the ripplePayee is the beneficiary or perhaps the lawyer who manages the estate of this individual.

Please discuss.

Bumping this thread (for great justice).
Last edited by twarden on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCT Thread

twarden

Postby twarden » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:16 am

Use Case: Implementing a Transportation Service using Ripple

The premise of this use case example is that Ripple can be used as a payments platform for individuals to connect and settle a payment for transportation of a person, group of people, or a parcel to a destination.

First, a social networking web site will be created. This social networking site will consist of two possible membership types and have separate registration requires: Driver and Passenger. The third table in the database would be Terminals, for the sake of building a hypothetical model, these pick-up locations (terminals) that will have their address or major intersection plus direction inserted into this table; the hypothetical starting data could be imported from bus stop locations within your City via the Google Maps API.

The users of the platform will be able to add their own private terminals, therefore, we require a private terminal location to be shared between one user id with many. This would require up to 25 columns with the user given the option to revoke access of a terminal's location from a Driver with a delete function available on the private terminals page.

The Driver's Registration Requirements:

-Photo of the profile of the car
-Photo of the front dashboard with the car turned on
-Photo of the drivers seats where both seatbelts must be visible
-Photo of the back seats where all seatbelts must be visible
-Photo of the turn drivers seats, both seatbelts must be visible
-Photo of your Driver's License
-Video proof of the working front left turn signal and headlights (unlisted youtube video)
-Video proof of the working front right turn signal and headlights (unlisted youtube video)
-Video proof of the working back left turn signal and break lights on (unlisted youtube video)
-Video proof of the working back left turn signal, both tail-lights working, and break lights on (unlisted youtube video)
-Video proof of the working back right turn signal, both tail-lights working, and break lights on (unlisted youtube video)
-Ripple Account
-First Name
-Last Name
-Address
-Postal Code
-Year of birth (only accessible to 18 years and older)

The Passenger's Registration Requirements:

-Ripple Account
-First Name
-Last Name
-Address
-Postal Code
-Year of birth (only accessible to 18 years and older)

Passengers would post their current location and their destination, drivers would be able to message this user to accept their bid for the drive. The Passenger commits the payment only when the driver has arrived at the destination. Before the driver allows a user the ride, the driver should check the passenger's ripple address within the profile, which can provide a getBalances ripple-REST API call to display the user's balances for you on the web site via your smartphone.

This system could allow groups of Ripplers going to the same College or University to tip each other and see the specific information they needed for anyone's need for a ride; these bid requests would be sent to the Driver's email. Drivers would be able to select terminals within the system to pick up passengers. Users can send a destination address and a bid page will be created displaying such information such as distance, this passenger's ripple balances, and the time and date of the pick-up. The driver can accept or deny requests.

The web site cannot earn a profit because there is no exchanges with the web site, therefore, this use case could be sponsored via local car pooling groups via friends with a github repo available to replicate this network between many locations and groups of friends/family. Each community could have a registration fee associated with it that is your membership fee for the year.

Please discuss.
Last edited by twarden on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCT Thread

twarden

Postby twarden » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:54 am

Use Case: Global Wireless and Data Index

This use case encompasses on boarding, on a global basis, internet service providers and wireless mobility providers. The goal of this use case aims to solve how to consolidate the following goals pertaining to these businesses: a. access of information (pricing, service, etc.) b. comparison of this information c. a platform to allow users to register at a service provider/pay for these services.

Access to Information

ISPs and WMPs would be required to submit the following information for display to the user:
All tangible available products such as switches, modems, cellular phones, cables, cases, AC adapters
All pricing information regarding their available products and services, such as the aforementioned products, but also not limited to warranties available, lost/stolen replacement phone services, and any costs of repairs where it may be applicable
All information regarding their services such as internet packages' speed & bandwidth, cellular's prepaid and post paid pricing, and so forth
The Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, and IOU Redemption Policy shall be specifically created for each and every IOU that is created by these companies

Comparison of Information

Statistics software shall be made available within this use case for the consumer to easily filter information by:
Country
City
Postal Code
Price thresholds 0-25$, 26-49$, 50-74$, 75-99$, 100$+
Category
SKU
IOU Code

Platform for Settlement

This index would allow for the functionality of Gateways to exist where settlement between these service providers consists of sending an IOU to the Issuing Address with your destination tag for your services to be paid for. You purchase these IOUs by depositing money within a Gateway to purchase the available services. These IOUs would have a clear redemption policy stated within a checkout window where the consumer must check a "I agree" box before submitting their request to redeem an IOU, at this time, the system will create destination tag for the customer.

I can only take partial credit for this as my buddy Evan gave me the inspiration to write this article this afternoon via an unrelated conversation.

Please discuss.

BCT Thread

twarden

Postby twarden » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:00 am

Use Case: Secure Rental Property System

Along the lines of the use cases I wrote for transportation and for wireless providers & ISPs, I believe that Ripple can be used for connecting possible tenants with a landlord.

I was recently targeted by fraudsters who were attempting to swindle me for first and last on apartments that they obviously do not own. These scammers even go as far as creating a photoshopped deed of title for the properties that they are "renting." Luckily, I was suspicious and did not lose any money. I can understand how this kind of fraud could really harm very vulnerable people that are not very computer literate. Ripple can assist with this stopping fraud like this with the creation of a rental service that audits landlords and does not allow wanted ads from the tenants.

The premise is that a landlord will be able to register via a ripple account, phone number, and an email address that will have to undergo a KYC process at account registration. The landlord can then create a classified for their rental property and post it to the site. A MySQL database can hold this information, such as landlord's contact information, the photos of the property, the price, the utilities included in the rental price, a field for storing the ads' content, and so forth. These aforementioned classifieds will be shown for two weeks before automatically being deleted. The landlord can delete a listing at any time.

Interested tenants do not have access to the registration system. The tenants cannot create wanted ads as those classifieds is what attracts fraudsters. Tenants can view the available rental properties and contact the landlord via the KYCd and verified contact details. Interesting enough, I also believe that this use case can also be applied to land leases/rentals and vehicle leases/rentals beyond rental properties/leases.

Database Structure

users table
pk user_id int not null auto increment

full_name varchar(70), ripple varchar(57), email varchar(60), phone varchar(10), address varchar(60), country varchar(20), province varchar(20), postal_code varchar(7), validated (bool) default false

Rental table
rental_id int not null auto increment, fk user_id

address varchar(60), country varchar(20), province varchar(20), postal_code varchar(7)

The remaining fields for each rental property will be fetched from the users table in the database, the foreign key ties to the users table for this reason. An intersection table is probably unnecessary.

The landlord will not have the ability to post until manually verified/KYCd by the sysadmin team. A validated == true check must be passed, by default, all new users' validated values are false. The landlord would also be required to have a ripple history amounting to an average of some much XRP and/or issuance(s) to be qualified as an "active ripple account" to deter those unscrupulous people who may pose as landlords and attempt to perform the same scams by pretending to be a landlord.

BCT Thread

twarden

Postby twarden » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Here is a tool to assist those developers who are looking to issue IOUs from their command line or through the use of an API. Click here to go to github and download the package.

BCT Thread

twarden

Next

Return to General Discussion