Stellar network experienced a ledger fork

Google [Bot] like(s) this thread.

Stellar network experienced a ledger fork

Postby BeRichLiveFree » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:39 pm

This week, the Stellar network experienced a ledger fork that is related to a failure of the underlying Ripple/Stellar consensus system. We are completing our review of the impact, but early reports indicate that the impact was not major. We are reaching out to all the known gateways and exchanges to see what we can do to assist.
:bah: :cry:

https://www.stellar.org/blog/safety_liveness_and_fault_tolerance_consensus_choice/

BeRichLiveFree :+1: 8-) :+1:
BeRichLiveFree

Re: Stellar network experienced a ledger fork

Postby yvv » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:52 pm

We are reaching out to all the known gateways and exchanges to see what we can do to assist.

And what exactly are those "all gateways and exchanges"?
yvv

Postby BeRichLiveFree » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:57 pm

yvv wrote:
We are reaching out to all the known gateways and exchanges to see what we can do to assist.

And what exactly are those "all gateways and exchanges"?

All two of them--might take a while. I think the problem was trying to run it on a used "Z-150" computer... :sealed:

BeRichLiveFree :+1: 8-) :+1:
BeRichLiveFree

Postby ChartGuyIV » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:43 am

Can't wait the answer from RL experts.
ChartGuyIV

Postby JoelKatz » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:01 am

I believe the Ripple protocol is immune to forking when properly implemented.

The following diagram illustrates that a fork is impossible. The 5 circles represent validators, the majority (3 or more) of which must agree to advance to the next ledger. For there to be a fork, an additional majority must agree to a different next ledger. So, to illustrate a fork, color a majority of the circles one color and then simultaneously color a different majority another color. Clearly, this is impossible.

JoelKatz
Ripple
Ripple

Postby AndrewSF » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:17 am

JoelKatz wrote:I believe the Ripple protocol is immune to forking when properly implemented.

The following diagram illustrates that a fork is impossible. The 5 circles represent validators, the majority (3 or more) of which must agree to advance to the next ledger. For there to be a fork, an additional majority must agree to a different next ledger. So, to illustrate a fork, color a majority of the circles one color and then simultaneously color a different majority another color. Clearly, this is impossible.

Can you show documentation for the proper way to implement it properly? This knowledge is needed to know how to judge whether Ripple is at risk of forking. Perhaps a twitter bot could be created to advertise the results of a check for this.

I mean what if a majority of nodes conspire to defraud a minority and dos the majority to become the temporary majority?
Ripple user since January 2013.
Donating is good karma! r3CxMDQFX1Atq1vQN5sqVsjm3rawGSwd32
http://onemilliongateways.com/ - Join the Ripple Business Association at http://www.xrpga.org/
AndrewSF

Postby Method Man » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:25 am

Nice!
Method Man

Postby brianwalden » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:50 am

So what I'm getting out of this is, Stellar's validators are colorblind.
brianwalden

Postby Robertharpool » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:23 am

...if by 'validators' you mean 'system maintenance team' ... and by 'colorblind', you mean 'inept'....then I think you're dead on.
Robertharpool

Postby Robbieboy2 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:29 am

Robertharpool wrote:...if by 'validators' you mean 'system maintenance team' ... and by 'colorblind', you mean 'inept'....then I think you're dead on.

:D
Robbieboy2

Next

Return to General Discussion