Send xrp from rt wallet to bitstamp

A place to post feedback and suggestions on Ripple clients (web, iOS, Android) and other applications (RippleCharts).

Send xrp from rt wallet to bitstamp

Postby keepna » Fri May 01, 2015 7:50 pm

I tried to send some XRP from my rippletrade wallet to Bitstamp with correct destination tag. Actually I did it directly on Bitstamp by clicking on 'Ripple Deposit' and 'Send Using Ripple web client' and it took me to Rippletrade.

Then it offers you to send a lot of different currencies to Bitstamp.
I'm not sure where are the few xrp I sent but not on my bitstamp account (I don't care I did it for testing purpose)

sorry maybe I don't understand how it works
also on my bitstamp account I only have USD and Bitcoin balance how is it possible to send all theses currencies to bitstamp ?

I discuss this -among others things- here: https://xrptalk.org/topic/6291-no-trustline/?p=76797
keepna

Re: Send xrp from rt wallet to bitstamp

Postby JoelKatz » Fri May 01, 2015 8:00 pm

What are you trying to accomplish exactly? Why do you want to send XRP to Bitstamp?
JoelKatz
Ripple
Ripple

Postby keepna » Fri May 01, 2015 8:45 pm

JoelKatz wrote:What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

Well just trying to move funds from Ripple network to gateway (also what confused me even more is, if I remember correctly you could buy directly xrp on bitstamp without going to ripple network before)

JoelKatz wrote:What are you trying to accomplish exactly? Why do you want to send XRP to Bitstamp?

why not, I'm a total newbie, and I mean RT client allows me to, if it's not possible why it allows me ? :)
I tried to send some AUD too, no luck (transaction went fine).

This may looks stupid to you but all on Bitstamp / rt makes you think you can and nothing stop you, and well it was making sense to me and I'm sure it would make sense for a lot of casual users
keepna

Postby JoelKatz » Fri May 01, 2015 8:50 pm

keepna wrote:
JoelKatz wrote:What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

Well just trying to move funds from Ripple network to gateway (also what confused me even more is, if I remember correctly you could buy directly xrp on bitstamp without going to ripple network before)

Except Bitstamp is not an XRP gateway. An XRP gateway wouldn't even make sense, since you don't need a gateway for XRP -- it's a native Ripple asset.

JoelKatz wrote:What are you trying to accomplish exactly? Why do you want to send XRP to Bitstamp?

why not, I'm a total newbie, and I mean RT client allows me to, if it's not possible why it allows me ? :)

Well, RT will allow you send funds to whoever you want. But if you don't have a reason for sending particular funds to a particular party, you shouldn't.

I tried to send some AUD too, no luck (transaction went fine).

Bitstamp doesn't want your AUD. What would they do with them?

This may looks stupid to you but all on Bitstamp / rt makes you think you can and nothing stop you, and well it was making sense to me and I'm sure it would make sense for a lot of casual users

You can send fund to anyone you want, but unless you have a reason, you really shouldn't.

Bitstamp is a BTC, USD and EUR gateway. The exchange real-world USD, BTC, and EUR for Ripple USD, BTC, and EUR. If that's not what you're trying to do, don't send them funds. :)
JoelKatz
Ripple
Ripple

Postby keepna » Fri May 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Sure I understand I can send fund to anyone I want and that's really great (and yes I shouldn't if I don't have a reason ;)

My point was, as a newbie, I don't understand why I'm allowed to send to them if they don't accept it (I'm not even talking about tech aspect, just it was unclear to me) and not so easy to differenciate the concepts gateways / ripple network when you're just typical user trying to move money.

For example when I enter gatehub on RT you can only choose Euro or USD :)
keepna

Postby JoelKatz » Fri May 01, 2015 9:22 pm

keepna wrote:My point was, as a newbie, I don't understand why I'm allowed to send to them if they don't accept it (I'm not even talking about tech aspect, just it was unclear to me) and not so easy to differenciate the concepts gateways / ripple network when you're just typical user trying to move money.

For example when I enter gatehub on RT you can only choose Euro or USD :)

Whether or not it's possible to deliver a particular asset to a particular party doesn't have much to do with whether it makes sense to deliver a particular asset to a particular party. RT lets you do what's possible.

Because the Ripple network has no central authority to say whether an asset is "real" or not, for assets other than XRP, an account must agree to hold an asset otherwise it's not possible to deliver that asset to that party.
JoelKatz
Ripple
Ripple

Postby keepna » Fri May 01, 2015 9:48 pm

ok I understand :)
thanks for the explanation it's really appreciated!
keepna

Return to Clients