Can we fork the consensus code to work for something like st

Post here for requests for development or to offer your services.
Google [Bot] like(s) this thread.

Can we fork the consensus code to work for something like st

Postby spaesani » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:13 pm

I am actually looking for feedback on using the consensus elements of ripple for a QnA format like that of stackexchange yet with the decentralized search Yacy.

I was also wondering if there are developers well versed in consensus that have some idle time.

Any consideration or thoughts are welcome.
spaesani

Re: Can we fork the consensus code to work for something lik

Postby Sukrim » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:58 pm

What would be the use of a consensus algorithm there? Choosing the "correct/best" answer? There are voting and ranking algorithms that are maybe a bit better suited for this task, especially if your site does not have global progressing state that needs to be 100% agreed upon.

The algorhm itself is fairly straightforward (search for "ripple whitepaper") and it might be easiest to just reimplement it.
Sukrim

Re: Can we fork the consensus code to work for something lik

Postby spaesani » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:55 am

Leaving the why aside I appreciate your feedback regarding reimplementing rather than pulling consensus code out of ripple.

I'm just wondering however if it would be wise to start from.scratch.

I haven't looked at the ripple source but I would assume the concensus processes operate on the ledger somewhat independantly from.the rest of the code base. If that's the case I would see it as simpler to use the existing concensus code and apply it to another object.

Again, leaving which object eg:QnA aside
I'd ask if this would be a better approach.
spaesani

Return to Developer Needs/Services