Stolen XRP's

New users post here first!
Notices, how-to, instructions, guides, questions, etc.
Google [Bot] like(s) this thread.

Stolen XRP's

Postby rst » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:08 pm

What happens when an account is hacked and the XRP's are sent out?
rst

Re: Stolen XRP's

Postby JoelKatz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:40 am

Unfortunately, about the same thing that happens when cash is stolen. The theft is reported to law enforcement. Sometimes the money is recovered but more often it's not. This is one of the reasons we stopped promoting XRP as an end user currency. End users typically need reversible payments and counterparties that are legally obligated to protect their interests.
JoelKatz
Ripple
Ripple

Postby rst » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:07 pm

My XRP was stolen out of a GateHub account. GateHub should protect customers from hackers. If money is stolen, then isn't GateHub held responsible? Gatehub doesn't seem to care, by the lack of response. How should I pursue? ty
rst

Postby JoelKatz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:52 pm

rst wrote:My XRP was stolen out of a GateHub account. GateHub should protect customers from hackers. If money is stolen, then isn't GateHub held responsible? Gatehub doesn't seem to care, by the lack of response. How should I pursue? ty

If GateHub did something wrong that results in the loss of your XRP, then they probably are responsible. If they didn't do anything wrong and the XRP got stolen anyway, then they are probably not responsible, only the thief is. It really depends on exactly what happened and what GateHub products you were using. If it wasn't a hosted wallet, then the XRP could not possibly have been transferred without someone having access to your private key. If, for example, that happened because your computer was compromised or you were successfully phished, that wouldn't be GateHub's responsibility.

Do you know what type of account you have (on ledger or hosted) and how the funds were stolen?
JoelKatz
Ripple
Ripple

Postby rst » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:06 pm

It says Ripple Wallet under the Wallet name. What does that mean ( hosted or ledger) ?

Not sure exactly how it was stolen. There is a history of the XRP being sent out to another wallet.

Recent Activity:

sent to: rQryGaS9YtxmLmg6gEVjtphQwjnAUryvSc
- 158,855.1412 XRP
15 days ago
rst

Postby rst » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:27 pm

I did not store the GateHub recovery Key on any computer. I wrote down the Gatehub recovery key on a piece of paper and stored it in a safe place. I never told anyone what it was.
rst

Postby rst » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:49 pm

Does this mean that someone from GateHub stole my XRP's ? What can I do?? Who can help me? Should I contact the Department of Justice ?
rst

Postby rst » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:49 am

Can someone tell me who owns the wallet given the wallet address?

The xrp was sent to the following: rQryGaS9YtxmLmg6gEVjtphQwjnAUryvSc

I remember giving several forms of I.D. when I signed up for an account. Someone should be able to see who owns the Wallet.

I want the persons name and address. I will pay money for information leading to this person,
rst

Postby mcarticlep » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:12 pm

hello all i logged into my gatehub account yesterday for the first time in ages when i checked my account i ony had 99 ripple left in my account although i had 27,500. when i noticed there was a transaction in june at 3.30am which i never did. gatehub have said they cant do anything. what annoys me is that authy 2 factor was on so how could this have happened. anyone can please help will much appreciated
mcarticlep

Postby rst » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:20 pm

I'm not getting much information from Gatehub. They say that their security team has been investigating the issue. It has now been 4 weeks. How long does it take ? there is a digital track record where the funds went to.

When you login to an account there is a setting that always to turn on/off the 2 step authentication. really ? shouldn't this always be on and not allowed to be turned off?

So a hacker can log in to an account and turn off 2 step authentication. Steal the funds. Ripple and GateHub I'm sure are well aware of Hackers and how they can steal money. Why can't they stop them? hmm..
rst

Next

Return to New Users / How-To