Cold Storage 2

New users post here first!
Notices, how-to, instructions, guides, questions, etc.

Cold Storage 2

Postby jvr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:55 pm

I've been experimenting a bit with cold storage solutions, and a puzzling thing happened:

I created some Rippex wallets for testing. I'm not a programmer but try to be meticulous with data, syntax, etc. So, I can say with 100% confidence that there were positively no discrepancies with passwords, addresses, etc. However when I later browsed to my wallet files and attempted to open them with their corresponding passwords, I got an "incorrect password" error for more than just a few of them. Naturally I was somewhat spooked by this, but by using the secret keys I was able to create new wallet files. Can someone explain this?

It should be noted that the computer image I used for this purpose has never touched the internet. I've deposited small test amounts of XRP into the wallets and can see the balances on the public ledger. And I've read that as long as I have the secret keys I will never have a problem recreating a wallet or being able to send XRP from them. Can anyone confirm that?

Any information about why this would happen, or any other suggestions you have are appreciated.

Hoping the response might be from JoelKatz or another (Rippex?) expert.

Thank you.
jvr

Return to New Users / How-To