Idea to Promote Gateway Growth

Idea to Promote Gateway Growth

Postby twarden » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:21 am

I have an idea that I am in the process of developing for the New Year in the Spring. This will alongside the lines of my current projects with Xagate and speaking with the operators of Providence Solutions, silvergoldbull.com, cavirtex.com, and RippleUnion for affiliation as well.

I have a concept to promote mock gateway usage among reputable community members who would abide by a specific pledge. This pledge would have to be signed cryptographically with the Providence Solutions Pledge Club application. You would have to specify your specific standards of quality, your terms of service (plus where to find the updates to your terms of service should they change), and a business license under your name in your Country (or a business name). In the case of using a personal name, register your .name domain or another tld if that's unavailable. If you register a business name license then register a .com or another preferable tld domain name.

Under the concept of that each person is able to provide value creation based upon their record of honest and voluntary transactions with others should be proof that these individuals could act as even temporary gateways. This is the idea I have been thinking of since creating a centralized system for exchanging assets. If I were to be unable to process transactions, the gateway would either shift ownership or be closed down. This concept of promotion is the idea of Many Honest Humans.

Simply, many of us could simply just provide the credit to those who require it. The auditing process would have to of course meet each individual's own criterion, hence the pledge to have a transparent process of the initial services you provide; their definitions, restrictions, and so forth. The auditing process for the gateway would be the content of their character based off of the proof of the other value creation that they create in other ways. This could include forum post count, slashdot karma, a long lasting paypal account, any sort of criteria.

What do all of you think of this concept for attempting to get more people to become a ripple gateway? Do you think that it would be useful to create a specific open source web-kit, to quickly develop a manual gateway operation, with only a few simple edits?

Please discuss.

Edit: I know a lot of us just say Codius, but Codius. I think that this could have potential.
XAGATE Thread~PreciousWallet.io Thread

Don't worry! I'm pretty sure that I got this under control, the last crazy visionary was was far too insane, but I struck the correct balance.
BCT Thread

I am not affiliated with Ripple Labs.
twarden

Re: Idea to Promote Gateway Growth

Postby datz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:43 am

Love the idea Taylor.

We were not going to reveal this ability until January 14th, but you beat us to it. We can include any trust line we want in Pier. This means anyone we trust can participate as new kinds of gateways we have classified - as a special docking gateway we call dockers or as an anchoring gateway we call anchors.

Providence commits to including any individual or entity who signs your pledge in the launch of Pier.

:heart:
datz

Postby twarden » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:48 pm

I was right on the money then? Pun intended. Wow, I never predict any thing in real life, just in novels.

I'm very excited now to hear more about this style of thought for value exchanges over Ripple has actually been implemented. I'm anticipating the second week of January, as are a lot of other interested ripplers.

Are you currently able to go into more detail about the functions an definitions of the docker/anchors within the Pier system?

Don't worry! I'm pretty sure that I got this under control, the last crazy visionary was was far too insane, but I struck the correct balance.
BCT Thread

twarden

Postby Chris4210 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:08 pm

twarden wrote:What do all of you think of this concept for attempting to get more people to become a ripple gateway? Do you think that it would be useful to create a specific open source web-kit, to quickly develop a manual gateway operation, with only a few simple edits?
l.

Hi Twarden,

I like your idea of creating a web kit to create gateways faster. I am new into Ripple, however i would like to know more about how to set up a gateway. Any tipps so far?

cheers
Chris4210

Postby twarden » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Chris4210 wrote:
twarden wrote:What do all of you think of this concept for attempting to get more people to become a ripple gateway? Do you think that it would be useful to create a specific open source web-kit, to quickly develop a manual gateway operation, with only a few simple edits?
l.

Hi Twarden,

I like your idea of creating a web kit to create gateways faster. I am new into Ripple, however i would like to know more about how to set up a gateway. Any tipps so far?

cheers

1. Have funding. This is the most crucial thing to start with because you are starting up a business. If you are unable to invest yourself or don't have an investor willing to help you, your gateway will more than likely not come to fruition or it will fail.
2. Find a reliable web hosting company and create a stable relationship with their support team. You can find my recommendation for a web host in my signature.
3. Read the ripple whitepapers, if you have not already. This will give you a broader understanding of what you as a gateway are going to be providing to your clients. This will also give you enough knowledge about Ripple in general to be able to speak to about it confidently with those who are clueless to what it is.
4. Learn PHP, javascript, jquery (optional, I enjoy it), and read the Codius whitepaper (it is going to be an important disruptive technology). This will allow you to conceptualize how to build your web site and how it will work day-to-day.
5. Once you have a mock gateway and wish to automate some (or all) tasks, read up on rippled and gatewayd on github and on the official ripple wiki. I will admit that this information is fragmented and there is not a lot of organization - if you have trouble finding something, ask for a link and/or more information in the developers board.

Once you get to this point, this becomes subjective to the laws in your country. In Canada, there is FINTRAC and in the USA there is FINCEN. You will need to contact a representative of a like government regulatory body to find out what, if any, laws are applicable to your gateway. Virtual currency is currently being regulated by the US but it is being left alone here in Canada for cryptocurrency technology and entrepreneurs to grow with these emerging technologies.

In summary, make sure you have some funding for your project. Know where your server will be hosted and have a good relationship with those who you will go to if something goes awry. ALWAYS stay as polite as possible, even when you see blood and are spouting steam at the ears, it does go a long way. Learn about the ripple environment to a point that you are confident, but not arrogant, to talk about a variety of topics and/or use-cases. Brush up or teach yourself web languages and I do suggest reading up on Codius, even if you are not an intermediate (or more advanced) software developer who will be using it personally with your gateway's implementation. Know what you are going to need to have automated and what you, as the gateway operator, will have to deal with as day-to-day duties of operating your business. Finally, get an email or physical letter from your country's financial regulatory body to make certain that your business operation and Terms of Service reflect what is required by the laws affecting your business and your clients.

I am not currently available to begin this web kit project. I will be within the coming months. If there is more interest shown for this, I will develop it.
The last thing I would suggest is that you could read up on Pier and the Providence Solutions products :) you can also find another great community @ ripple.builders.

That is all I have time to write for now. Please let me know if you want some clarification on a few points or need more information!
Happy rippling!

BCT Thread

twarden

Postby twarden » Fri May 15, 2015 6:14 pm

BCT Thread

twarden

Postby twarden » Sun May 31, 2015 3:05 am

Discussion moved to here here.

Can a moderator please lock this thread? Thank you.

BCT Thread

twarden

Postby Omnis » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:45 am

twarden wrote:Discussion moved to here here.

Can a moderator please lock this thread? Thank you.

Done.
Omnis

Return to General Discussion